As must as I want to, I can not get into a routine baking our own bread. I have read several cookbooks and tried many recipes, but haven’t found one easy enough that it becomes a routine. It is mostly because we are trying to cut out wheat, and the ones that are delicious are most definitely not gluten-free. But the pot roast below would be great with rolls or french bread, if you are not trying to cut out wheat.
These menus make it easier for me to grocery shop in an hour, stay on budget, do a little everyday, and use what’s in the fridge to make economical and healthy dinners. Our only “official” breakfast is on Sunday mornings. The other days we usually grab cereal, oatmeal or make some quick eggs before we dash out the door. Lunches are usually salads and sandwiches, sometimes soup made with leftovers if we need to use more of what’s in the fridge. We usually plan to eat out once a week, usually Wednesday, but this week it’s a Saturday.
Sunday Breakfast: Bacon & Eggs
Sunday Dinner: Pot Roast with Carrots and Potatoes
Monday Dinner: Rotisserie Chicken with Squash Risotto*
Tuesday Dinner: Roast Beef Roll-ups with raw veggies
Wednesday Dinner: BLT’s with raw veggies
Thursday Dinner: Chicken Quesadillas with Guacamole and Fruit
Friday Dinner: Shrimp Stir Fry
Saturday Dinner: Order Pizza
- Saturday: Grocery, Prep Carrots (big pieces for roast, sticks for snacks and stir fry) & Onions, Make Rice
- Sunday: Bacon & Eggs in the morning, peel potatoes and start roast in crock pot. Save leftover bacon for Wednesday night.
- Sunday PM: Save leftover beef for Tuesday
- Monday: Pick up rotisserie chicken, cut up butternut squash & make risotto. Dice and save any leftover chicken for later in the week.
- Tuesday: Use Leftover beef to make roll-ups with flour tortillas and cream cheese, cut up cucumbers and wash some cherry tomatoes for dipping
- Wednesday: Use Saturday’s leftover bacon to make BLT’s. Cut up last night’s cherry tomatoes and mix with a little mayo so they stay on the bread better.
- Thursday: Make chicken quesadillas with leftover chicken, cheese, smashed white beans and spinach ribbons. Make quick guacamole by mashing an avocado with some garlic salt.
- Friday: Shrimp stir fry with any leftover carrots and onions, and rice from Saturday. Add frozen broccoli and diced zucchini.
- Saturday: Order Pizza and watch a Christmas movie**
Meat: Roast, Bacon, Frozen Shrimp, Rotisserie Chicken
Produce: Carrots, Onions, Cherry Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Zucchini, Potatoes, Butternut Squash, Avocado, Romaine Leaf lettuce, Spinach, Frozen Broccoli
Center Aisles: Bread, Brown Rice, Risotto Rice, Beef Broth, Chicken Broth, White Beans, Tortillas, Ranch Dressing, Cinnamon, Cayenne, Garlic Salt, Butter, Olive Oil, Vanilla
Dairy: Parmesan cheese, Shredded Cheddar, Flavored Cream Cheese
*I sub water for wine, and put a dash of vanilla instead of a vanilla bean. And use butternut squash because my store has it more frequently. And fresh parsley sends my 6 yr old into fits, so we leave it out also.
**My Suggestion: White Christmas 🙂