I have a love / hate relationship with White Elephant gift exchanges. They can be entertaining if everyone playing is around the same age, agrees to raise the gift amount (I recommend $25), and if the purpose is to be funny. It’s wasteful for sure, but at least it doesn’t max out your creativity. However a one-size-fits-all good or funny gift for under $10, well that’s about as elusive as a white elephant.
My best idea for that latter kind of party is to bring something homemade (and falls into the category of “I wouldn’t mind ending up with it”). Here’s a round-up of what I’ve done in the past and a little of what I’m planning to do this year:
- Rice Krispy Treats (not the store bought box)
- Cinnamon Rolls (I’m going to try Ree’s Pumpkin version this year)
- Caramel Popcorn
- Soy Essential Oil Candles
- Cranberry-Lime Simple Syrup
- Hand/Foot Scrub with Essential Oils
Let me know if you have other ideas!